West Edge Opera (in Berkeley CA) is soliciting excerpts of unproduced works in progress to present in Snapshot - a series of new works in a professional concert/workshop setting.
Collaborating with San Francisco-based Earplay (www.earplay.org) as the instrumental ensemble, Snapshot is an opportunity to get shorter works or exceprts of longer works on their feet with world class vocalists and instrumentalists. The performances are well attended by the general public and reviewed by high profile publications.
Read about previous year's festival here:
Deadline for submission October 12, 2018
The program will be during the weekend of Jan 19-20, 2019
- Works must have not received a staged public performance
- Works must have had no public performance (staged or otherwise) in the Bay Area
- Either the composer or lyricist must have resided on the west coast (CA, OR, or WA) for at least 4 years in the last 20.
- Excerpts should be between 10 and 20 minutes long and use a maximum of 4 performers/singers.
- Excerpts should be (re)scored for piano and a selection of up to 6 additional instruments, selected from the following: violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute, clarinet (1 of each).
- Excerpts that show dramatic interest are preferred. 15 minutes that show a development of character or situation are preferred to static or expository arias.
- Submissions are limited to ONLY the excerpt that we are to consider. If there are multiple excerpts from the piece that you think would work, you may suggest up to TWO excerpts. If you are attaching the entire score, make it very clear which excerpts are to be considered.
- Composer or Lyricist must be present in the San Francisco Bay Area for the week of the performance (we are unable to offer a travel stipend).
- Vocal Scores must be completed by Nov 1, 2018.
- Score and parts (reduced for Snapshot ensemble) must be completed by Dec 1, 2018.
- Applicants may be of any age or nationality.